Apply for a US Visa | Business/tourist visa - Germany (English) (2023)

Business/turist visum

On this page:

  • overview
  • qualifications
  • application elements
  • How to apply
  • supporting documents
  • Supporting documents for applicants seeking medical assistance
  • Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS)
  • Mere information

Frequently asked questions


B-1/B-2 tourist visas are for those traveling to the United States temporarily for business (B-1), pleasure, or medical treatment (B-2). Generally, the B-1 visa is intended for travelers who confer with business associates, attend scientific, educational, professional, or business congresses/conferences, negotiate discounts, or negotiate contracts. The B-2 visa is intended for recreational travel, including tourism, visiting friends or relatives, medical treatment, and fraternal, social, or service activities. Often the B-1 and B-2 visas are combined and issued as one visa: B-1/B-2.


If you are applying for a B-1/B-2 visa, you must demonstrate to the consular officer that you are eligible for a U.S. visa under the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Section 214(b) of the INA presumes that any category B-1/B-2 applicant is an immigrant subject. You must overcome this legal presumption by demonstrating:

  • That the purpose of your trip to the United States is for a temporary visit, such as for business, pleasure, or medical treatment
  • That you plan to stay in the United States for a specific, limited period of time
  • Proof of funds to cover expenses while in the United States
  • You have a residence outside the United States and other mandatory social or economic ties that ensure your return abroad at the end of your visit

private or domestic workersITeammatesIf you work aboard ships on the Outer Continental Shelf, you may qualify for a B-1 visa under certain circumstances.

Some foreign nationals may not be eligible for a visa under the Immigration and Nationality Act. For more information on the Immigration and Nationality Act and the visa ban, click hereHer.

application elements

If you are applying for a business/tourist visa, you must submit the following documents:

  • Electronic Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form (DS-160). visitDS-160 websiteMore information about the DS-160 can be found here.
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States with an expiration date of at least six months after the intended stay in the United States (unlesscountry-specific agreementsgrant exemptions). If there is more than one person on the passport, each applicant must apply for a visa.
  • One (1) 5cm x 5cm photograph taken within the last six months.This websitecontains information about the required photo format.
  • This websiteMore information on how to pay this fee can be found here. An additional visa reciprocity fee may apply when issuing a visa, depending on nationality. Ministry of Foreign Affairsinternet sidecan help you find out if you need to pay a visa reciprocity fee and what the fee is.

In addition to these points, you must give an invitation to an interview that proves that you have booked an appointmentService. You may also bring any supporting documents to the consular officer that you believe support the information provided.

How to apply

Trin 1

completeElectronic Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form (DS-160)..

trin 2

Pay for your visa applicationpayment.

trin 3

Arrange a time atThepage. To make an appointment, you need the following information:

  • this pass number
  • CGI reference number from the visa bill. clickHerif you need help finding this number.
  • The 10-digit barcode number from the DS-160 confirmation page
trin 4

visitUS Embassy or Consulatedate and time of the visa interview. You must bring a printed copy of your employment letter, a DS-160 confirmation page, a photo taken within the last six months, and your current and all previous passports. Submissions that do not include all of this information will not be accepted.

supporting documents

Supporting documents are just one of many factors that the consular officer will consider when interviewing you. Consular officials consider each application on a case-by-case basis, taking into account professional, social, cultural and other factors. Consular officials can investigate your specific intentions, family situation, and long-term plans and prospects in your country of residence. Each case is assessed individually and meets all legal requirements.

Care:NOsubmit false documents. Fraud or false information may result in a permanent visa ban. If there are concerns about confidentiality, the applicant should take the documents to the US Embassy or Consulate in a sealed envelope. The US Embassy or Consulate does not share this information with anyone and respects its confidentiality.

Please bring the following documents to the interview. Original documents are always preferred over photocopies. These documents must be brought to the interview. Do not fax, email or mail receipts to the US Embassy or Consulate.

  • Current proof of income, tax payments, ownership of real estate or business or assets.
  • Your itinerary and/or other explanations of your intended trip.
  • A letter from your employer describing your position, salary, seniority, vacation days and, if applicable, the business purpose of your trip to the United States.
  • Criminal/court records of having been arrested or convicted anywhere, even if you served your sentence or were later pardoned.

In addition, depending on your destination, you should bring:


Bring your latest school results, reports and degrees/diplomas. Also bring documentation of financial aid such as: B. Monthly bank statements, fixed deposit receipts or other documentation.

working adults

Bring your employment certificate from your employer and payslips for the last three months.

business people and business leaders

Bring proof of your position in the company and the amount of remuneration.

Visiting a relative

Bring photocopies of documents confirming a loved one's status (eg green card, certificate of naturalization, valid visa, etc.).

Previous visitors to the United States

If you have been to the United States before, all documents proving your immigration or visa status.

Supporting documents for applicants seeking medical assistance

If you intend to travel to the United States for medical treatment, you should be prepared to provide the following documents in addition to those listed above and those that a consular officer may request:

  • A medical diagnosis from a local doctor explaining the nature of your medical condition and why you need treatment in the United States.
  • Describes a letter from a physician or medical facility in the United States expressing a desire to treat this particular condition and describing the expected duration and cost of treatment (including physician fees, hospital charges, and all drug-related costs).
  • Statement of financial responsibility of the person or organization covering transportation, treatment and living expenses. Those guaranteeing these expenses must demonstrate their ability to do so, often in the form of bank or other proof of income/savings or certified copies of tax returns.

Electronic Visa Update System (EVUS)

Under the Visa Extension Agreement signed between the United States and China, effective November 29, 2016, Chinese nationals holding 10-year B1, B2, or B1/B2 visas in their PRC passports will be required to update their biographical and other information from a visa application through the website every two years or upon receipt of a new passport or B1, B2 or B1/B2 visa, whichever comes first. This mechanism is called EVUS – Electronic Visa Update System.

The EVUS website is now open to the public CBP does not currently charge an EVUS registration fee. CBP anticipates the possible introduction of a fee for submitting an application under EVUS, but does not specify a time frame. Until the fee is introduced, travelers can register for EVUS for free. The Department of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will update visa holders with new information throughout the year. For more information,‎

Under the Visa Extension Agreement signed between the United States and China effective November 29, 2016, PRC passport holders with 10-year B1, B2, or B1/B2 visas must complete every two years or obtain a new passport or visa B1, B2 or B1/B2 with the longest validity (whichever comes first), update your personal information and other visa application information via the website. We call this mechanism EVUS – Electronic Visa Update System.
EVUS registration pagewww.EVUS.govRegistration is now open. US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) does not currently charge registration fees. U.S. Customs and Border Protection expects that the EVUS registration fee will eventually be implemented, but has not yet provided an implementation date. Passengers can register for EVUS for free, even before the payment is introduced. The US Departments of Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection will release updated information to visa holders later this year. For more information please

Mere information

For more information on business and tourist visas, please contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairsinternet side.


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Rev. Leonie Wyman

Last Updated: 02/11/2023

Views: 5507

Rating: 4.9 / 5 (59 voted)

Reviews: 90% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Rev. Leonie Wyman

Birthday: 1993-07-01

Address: Suite 763 6272 Lang Bypass, New Xochitlport, VT 72704-3308

Phone: +22014484519944

Job: Banking Officer

Hobby: Sailing, Gaming, Basketball, Calligraphy, Mycology, Astronomy, Juggling

Introduction: My name is Rev. Leonie Wyman, I am a colorful, tasty, splendid, fair, witty, gorgeous, splendid person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.