60/40 custody plans and what they really look like (2023)

More and more parents are opting for joint custody over the past few decades over the traditional weekend schedules of yesteryear. While joint custody has proven helpful in ensuring that children have a good relationship with both parents, how time is divided can be confusing. The 60/40 home plan is a popular option and can be split in many ways. Here's an overview of the 60/40 program, some practical examples, and considerations for choosing what works best for your family.

What is a 60/40 schedule really like?

When we talk about shared custody hours in numbers, we are actually talking about the percentage of time shared between the two parents. On a 50/50 plan, both parents spend about half of their time with the child in any given week. In a 60/40 custody program, one parent gets about 60% of the time, while the other parent gets about 40%.

It's important to remember that this doesn't always work exactly. For example, the division might result in something like 57/43 depending on the programming you choose, but for convenience it is called a 60/40 division. Another key principle here is that joint custody plans count 24 hours a day, not just time actually spent with the kids. So even if you have the 60 side of the 60/40 split, if most of your days fall in the week you work and the kids are in school, you may have less personal time than a parent who doesn't have 40% on weekends.

(Video) 60/40 Custody & Visitation Schedules: 3 Examples

60/40 joint guard divisions

There are many ways to implement a 60/40 custody plan, and if both parents agree, they can make any plan they want. When deciding how a 60/40 custody program will work, it is important to consider the ages of the children. 5 days is extended by the other parent. These are just some of the most common 60/40 custody schemes.

long weekends

This schedule divides the week into two main parts: the main week and a long weekend. Father #1 has childcare hours from Monday morning to Friday afternoon, and Father #2 has childcare hours from Friday afternoon to Monday morning. In this case, it's common for parent #2 to drop the kids off at school on Monday morning and pick them up on Friday afternoon. The main advantage of this schedule is that the days are always the same; but it also means that every weekend a parent gets paid. This can be an issue when parent #1 works during the week as they end up having very little downtime with the kids.


In discussions about escrow plans, you will often see them presented as numbers with dashes in the middle. This refers to how days are divided between parents. For example, in the 4-3 program, parent #1 gets the kids for four days and parent #2 gets the kids for three days. This is repeated several times.

(Video) 60/40 Parenting Schedules in a Divorce | Episode 28

The main difference between this and the long weekend schedule is that, depending on how the week starts, you might not spend the entire weekend with one parent. For example, parent #1 might get Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and the other parent would get Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. This schedule can be adjusted based on when you want the three-day break with the other parent to be, which can be helpful for families with nontraditional work schedules.


An alternating 2-2-5-5 schedule, with parent #1 getting the kids for two days, then back to parent #2 for two days, then back to parent #1 for five days, then back to parent No. 2 five days days. days. A practical example of such a schedule could be:

  • Parent #1: Monday, Tuesday
  • Father #2: Wednesday, Thursday
  • Parent #1: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday
  • Parent #2: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
60/40 custody plans and what they really look like (1)

This would then be repeated. The biggest benefit of this type of schedule is that the weekends alternate, giving each parent time away from work and school to spend with the kids. However, it can be difficult to keep up.

(Video) What NOT to Say When Negotiating Your Parenting Plan with Attorney Susan Guthrie


The 2-2-3 rhythm is often used for younger children as there are no long periods without parents. An example of such a schedule is:

  • Parent #1: Monday, Tuesday
  • Father #2: Wednesday, Thursday
  • Parent #1: Friday, Saturday, Sunday
  • Father #2: Monday, Tuesday
  • Parent #1: Wednesday, Thursday
  • Parent #2: Friday, Saturday, Sunday
60/40 custody plans and what they really look like (2)

This schedule also allows for alternate weekends and may be easier to follow than the 2-2-5-5 split. However, it requires a lot of moving between homes, which can be difficult for children who feel they don't have a primary home. Even if the children move, there are often re-entry issues, especially if the rules between the two are very different. With that kind of schedule, children are almost always going to and from a house, so these problems can get worse.

How 60/40 residency plans can impact other issues

If you're still trying to decide how you're going to do thisshared custody, it is important to note that your custody program is different from your legal custody. For example, it is common for parents to have joint custody so that both parents can spend enough time with their children, but one parent maintains sole custody. This means that a parent still has the power to make decisions about things like education, religion, and medical decisions. Always make sure you know exactly what his physical condition is.jEscrow Department is.

(Video) Inherited IRAs Explained: How a Massive Estate Planning Law Shifted Inheritance Rules...

Choosing a 60/40 custody program can affect heightalimonyYou will receive or you will have to pay. on a50/50 joint guard division, it is common for judges not to award child support to either party because they divide the time equally, and it is assumed that, for this reason, they also equally divide the cost of living for the children. In a 60/40 custody plan, the judge may award the 60% parent some child support, especially if there are large differences in income between the two parties, but it is likely to be much less than what the custodial parent would receive in an isolated case. Custodial program where the non-custodial parent only sees the children every other weekend.

The final consideration for any type of joint custody program is that it requires a large amount ofcommunication and coordinationbetween parents, particularly in divisions 2-2-5-5 and 2-2-3, where children move frequently. If you have a positive co-parenting relationship with the other parent and you can keep the lines of communication open, this can work really well. However, these types of timelines can be difficult in conflict situations. In these cases, it may be best to stick to a 4-3 split or long weekend schedule so that the schedule is consistent week to week.

60/40 service times and 2 houses

Joint parenting apps like 2houses can make tracking and managing joint custody plans a lot easier. With the calendar app, for example, you can enter the daycare plan directly into the calendar so you can always see at a glance who the kids are with and when. This is especially useful with more complicated 60/40 escrow schemes such as B. the 2-2-5-5 and 2-2-3 options. You can also add any important appointments, extracurricular activities, doctor's appointments or anything else that needs to get done on the calendar so both parents know exactly what needs to happen on their parental leave without the other parent having to inform or remind them. them.

(Video) 50/50 Custody & Visitation Schedules: 7 Examples

The messaging feature is also useful for shared custody situations as it provides an easy way to coordinate with the other parent in a secure manner. Children who move frequently, take medicine, forget their sports uniform or report card, being able to do all this in one app is very useful for efficient communication and automatic documentation.

Find out more about how 2houses can help make your journey together less stressful and more productive by checking out ourFeature summaryand then sign up for our 14-day free trial to see the benefits for yourself.


How many days is a 60 40 split? ›

60/40 custody – This type of schedule requires one parent to have the child for four days and the other parent has the child for three days.

What's the best custody arrangement? ›

Shared custody is the best arrangement – for some families. It's not best for every family. However, for families who are able to have shared custody, they consider it the best arrangement because it allows children to have frequent and continuing contact with both parents.

What does a 70 30 split look like? ›

A 70/30 parenting plan allows one parent to have the child 70% of the time while the other has the child 30% of the time. There are several different ways this can be accomplished, including the following: The child spends the week (Monday - Friday) with parent A, and the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) with parent B.

What is a good 50/50 custody schedule for kids? ›

Alternating weeks are one of the simplest 50/50 child custody schedules. In this pattern, one week is spent with Parent A while the following week is spent with Parent B. This keeps parenting exchanges to an absolute minimum while still allowing both parents to have robust relationships with their children.

What does a 60 40 split look like? ›

A 60/40 child custody schedule has the child spend 60 percent of their time with one parent and 40 percent of their time with the other parent. The two most common 60/40 schedules are the every extended weekend schedule and the 4-3 schedule.

How does a 60/40 split work? ›

In a 60/40 portfolio, you invest 60% of your assets in equities and the other 40% in bonds. The purpose of the 60/40 split is to minimize risk while producing returns, even during periods of market volatility. The potential downside is that it likely won't produce as high of returns as an all-equity portfolio.

Who gets custody most often? ›

On the national average, a female parent is granted around 65% of custody time, whereas a male parent receives around 35%. However, in recent years, more fathers have become custodial parents, with the percentage increasing from 16% in 1994 to 20.1% in 2018.

What is the best custody schedule for a one year old? ›

A 2-2-3 schedule can work well for a toddler if the parents live close to each other. The following schedules can also work for a toddler: Alternating every 2 days schedule where your toddler alternates spending 2 days with each parent.

What is the most effective split? ›

The push/pull/legs split is probably the most efficient workout split there is because all related muscle groups are trained together in the same workout. This means that you get the maximum overlap of movements within the same workout, and the muscle groups being trained get an overall benefit from this overlap.

What is a 3 2 split? ›

A 3-for-2 split means the investor will have one and one half times as many shares as the investor had before the split, with each share having a value of two-thirds of the pre-split market price.

What is a 4 3 split? ›

The 4-3 schedule is a residential schedule where your child spends four days of the week with one parent and the other three days with the other parent.

What is 60 40 mix ratio? ›

A 60% gravel, 40% sand mixture used to mix with cement to make concrete.

How do you calculate split time? ›

To calculate run splits, divide the total distance and time into a number of parts of equal length.
What you get are:
  1. Number of splits;
  2. Time needed to run one split;
  3. Resting distance; and.
  4. Time needed to complete the resting distance.

What is the ratio of 60 to 40? ›

Expert-Verified Answer

The ratio 60:40 in its simplest form is - 3/2 .

What is a 60 40 split of 100? ›

Convert 60/40 to Percentage by Changing Denominator

Our percent fraction is 150/100, which means that 6040 as a percentage is 150%.


1. 70/30 Custody & Visitation Schedules: 5 Examples
(50 50 Dad)
2. Choose the Evidence You Use at Your Child Custody Trial Wisely
(Command the Courtroom)
4. What is the Best Co-Parenting Schedule?
(LJ Law)
5. 80/20 Custody & Visitation Schedules: 5 Examples
(50 50 Dad)
6. At What Age Can a Child Decide Custody?
(ADAM Divorce Attorneys for Men)
Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Tyson Zemlak

Last Updated: 12/15/2022

Views: 5956

Rating: 4.2 / 5 (43 voted)

Reviews: 82% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Tyson Zemlak

Birthday: 1992-03-17

Address: Apt. 662 96191 Quigley Dam, Kubview, MA 42013

Phone: +441678032891

Job: Community-Services Orchestrator

Hobby: Coffee roasting, Calligraphy, Metalworking, Fashion, Vehicle restoration, Shopping, Photography

Introduction: My name is Tyson Zemlak, I am a excited, light, sparkling, super, open, fair, magnificent person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.